Moreblessing Ali’s killer sentenced to 30 years in prison

By Tapiwa Svondo

Harare High Court Delivers Verdict in High-Profile Murder Case

Pius Jamba Mukandi, who was convicted for killing CCC activists Moreblessing Ali in May last year, has been handed a 30-year jail sentence by Harare High Court judge Esther Muremba.

The lengthy sentence was handed by Harare High Court judge Esther Muremba.

The Zanu PF activist was found guilty of the crime after a full trial during which he pleaded his innocence.

During trial, Jamba claimed that Ali’s body was dumped by unknown persons in his mother’s well to implicate him, but Justice Muremba said the evidence by the prosecution was strong.

“We’re satisfied that the accused is the person who killed Moreblessing Ali because he was the last person to be seen with her.

“The state witnesses impressed the court as credible witnesses. They gave corroborating evidence,” the judge said then at the Harare High Court.

“It is common cause that the accused and Ali interacted, and their interaction was not in the positive.

“It is also common cause that Ali did not go home after drinking at the night club on May 24 and she was never seen alive again.”

Ali went missing following a confrontation with Jamba at a nightclub in Nyatsime on the night of May 24, 2022.

Her decomposed body was discovered after a two-week search dumped in a well at the homestead of Jamba’s mother.

Jamba was identified as the person who last interacted with Ali but he had fled to Hurungwe where he was later arrested.

He went on to voluntarily make a warned and cautioned statement outlining how he killed Ali.

The court heard initially they exchanged verbal insults after Jamba kicked Ali’s dog. Minutes later Ali confronted Jamba after he refused to pay for nuts he took from another witness who was a vendor close outside the night club.

Jamba followed her as she left for home and killed her. He cut her body into three pieces and stuffed the body parts in different plastic bags which he threw into the well.

His mother Laina Mukandi discovered the remains and called the police.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button